Hurt in the Head


  Allen  avenue looks brighter tonight– the streetlights make the tar shine, somewhat. It's a busy lit street, and I am here wondering what I came for. Recently, I see myself unintentionally walking the streets, purposelessly. Sometimes, at the canteen– after few plates of rice with no coin in the sack; other times, at the boutique. Once, I refused to pay for vodka. It tasted like the one I lost. How does it feel to get this much attention? As I roam, people's eyes bore through my skin. I must be attractive.

Tonight, none of their concern matters. Across the road, my ex-girl stands 5'9 above the ground and across the road. Dark Leo with a cross tattoo on her wrist; silky long hair flowing down her shoulder.We don't talk anymore.

The day she left, they said, I opened my eyes to the clouds so high; my back to the ground, and aches in my head, and noises, too. I had had a few shots of soju: a Korean alcoholic beverage, a couple of mentos cancerette and some stimulants. I must have slept behind the wheels. They said. 

Now, it doesn't hurt in the head, but I still hear  voices: come, no, OK, go. Yes, go; light a candle and say goodbye; cry; eat today, don't eat tomorrow; walk the street; don't talk, don't sleep, just cry; laugh; run– the noise. I heard the doctor say I've lost it, but I swear it doesn't hurt anymore.  Or maybe, after all, it still hurts in the head.



Onifade Oladimeji Samson Dlog


Hurt in the Head Hurt in the Head Reviewed by Onifade Oladimeji Samson on January 08, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.